Wednesday, May 18, 2011

book review: Kaleidoscope by Melanie Hurlston

Last Tuesday {the 10th} I borrowed Kaleidoscope from our library because I really wanted to try making a few of the very sweet, kokeshi dolls on page 58. What I loved most about the book {apart from the gorgeous softies, of course} were the beautiful photographs and the little rhymes and introductions that accompanied each pattern.


The kokeshi dolls apparently symbolise love and friendship which made them appeal to me even more than their sweet little faces! Unfortunately when I went to raid my stash for requirements, I couldn't find any black homespun for their hair or any Japanese prints for their bodies... so I improvised and made one a brunette and one a blonde, then used some lovely polka dots and florals from the Bliss range by Bonnie & Camille for Moda Fabrics. I also made one a scarf and a flower for her hair and the other got be-ribboned pigtails. So while they're not traditional kokeshi dolls, I think the spirit is definitely still there!

Here is my little brunette kokeshi, which Cameron calls Mama {me}

My next project will be Bella-boo the pink rabbit softie... stay tuned for an update on her!

All in all, this is a gorgeous book of patterns by Melanie Hurlston {of Melly & Me}. Including 16 different projects that suit both beginner sewers {like me} and those of you who are more advanced; there are soft toys, bags and quilts to enjoy. For each project there are easy to follow instructions, pattern templates to photocopy or trace as well as several photos to inspire you along.

Whether you have little people in your life or are just young at heart, do go ahead and borrow this book {once I return it next Tuesday night} because it has been a real pleasure!

Happy stitching,
Kylie x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your lovely comment! We love to hear what you think of goings on and will always try very hard to reply. To help us to do this, please make sure your email address is enabled in your Google ID. x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...