Monday, August 1, 2011

Christmas Elf Challenge


This time last year a small group of quilters were discussing the Elf Challenge. None of us wanted to be chosen but we decided that the next victims, um, I mean Elves must have been notified already and so we were off the hook. Imagine the scene at my house a couple of days later when THE letter arrived! I yelled "Yikes!" Oh OK I confess, I yelled something too rude to publish on this blog! I phoned Glo, my fellow Elf, immediately and she was very happy about the whole thing so I decided it could be quite an adventure really.

For the first few months I "helped" a lot with the library on Tuesday nights and no one suspected we were really getting together in secret to discuss what we were going to do. Glo and I decided almost right away to do a stained glass challenge and it all went smoothly after that. We thought that stained glass would perhaps be something not many quilters had attempted to do but was nice enough that we'd still have friends at the end of the challenge!

Glo and I met up to make boxes and plans and we divided the shopping and workload up and really it wasn't very difficult to do so don't be scared if you get THAT letter soon! Yes you, I'm talking to you! The hardest part for me was keeping quiet about the whole thing especially when everyone around us was wondering who the Elves were and what challenge they might issue!

We obviously had to do our share so in preparation for the Christmas meal at Riddells Creek Hotel last year Glo and I made our own stained glass designs to show you. Luckily for me I was redecorating a bedroom and my stained glass project (pictured above) was just the thing to fill the space above the bed! Glo made a beautiful bag which I'm hoping Glo will be able to share a photo of with you. We were very happy when we revealed our Elf selves when no one had suspected a thing!

Throughout the following 6 months we heard a few moans and groans about the project which cheered us up ha ha but in general most people were happy to be playing along and I'm so glad they did because last weekend at our Christmas in July quilting day we had an amazing display of projects! I was astonished at the many different ideas everyone had. There were cushions, table runners, wall hangings and bags in all kinds of wonderful designs.

Glo and I had been busy sewing small gifts in appreciation of all your hard work and I hope you enjoyed them. We had lots of fun watching you "wiggling" on the dance floor! I particularly enjoyed Bronwyn's solo! All in all it was a lovely day and I'd like to thank Judy and Marlene for all their hard work organizing the day and of course thanks to my fellow Elf, Glo, for all her help and support. It was fun!

Glo will share pictures soon.

Evelyn

1 comment:

  1. Evelyn and Glo, I think you did an amazing job as this years elves and the next duo will have a lot to live up to!! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your lovely comment! We love to hear what you think of goings on and will always try very hard to reply. To help us to do this, please make sure your email address is enabled in your Google ID. x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...