Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Needleturn appliqué with ease with Robyn Falloon

I recently had a needleturn appliqué lesson with Di in our quilting hall kitchen (Thanks Di!) and I made my first needleturn block.

I was quite pleased with how it turned out but I could see every mistake and lump and bump! Glo suggested I borrow this DVD that was kindly donated to the library by Sue and I watched it with great interest.

Robyn Falloon does some beautiful work and the DVD showed some of her finished designs which were nice to see. One of the very first things she said was that she'd always been afraid of needleturn appliqué but with practice finds it a very easy and relaxing technique.
In parts the DVD was quite slow as she didn't have any of her work prepared in advance so we had to watch her cutting templates, then drawing the shapes and then we sat and watched as she glued each piece to her backing but you could fast forward much of this.

Robyn went into great detail about how to stitch inner and outer curves, circles and inner and outer points. I learned a great deal although I'm sure she made it look easier than in fact it is! It's the kind of DVD you'd want in front of you as you sew so you can see how she does it and try to repeat that and if it doesn't work you watch that part of the DVD again!
I recommend this DVD to anyone with any interest in learning to do needleturn appliqué or for anyone who feels competent but may wish to learn a different method perhaps of doing it. The DVD is a companion to a feature in a quilting magazine and you can download the pattern and instructions online at www.completecraft.com.au/dvd_reviews

Evelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your lovely comment! We love to hear what you think of goings on and will always try very hard to reply. To help us to do this, please make sure your email address is enabled in your Google ID. x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...