Wednesday, March 2, 2016



Never Give up.

Orchid Quilt made from Kona fabrics, put together by Sheila Millington.

It is always such a joy when the last stitch of the binding is done, a huge sigh and a feeling of a job well done. However sometimes things don't always go as planned.

Some quilts literally cost you blood , sweat and tears. I recently believed I had crossed a black cat or else something in the universe was not aligned. I started this quilt last year. This was the first time I had bought a kit off the internet. I was excited.

It arrived and  straight away I was dubious. The picture showed the most beautiful  quilting on the quilt and it was what had attracted me to the quilt – of course instructions for quilting are not included.

I started, following the instructions carefully. After all there was a financial investment here. There are a multitude of colours so I was careful to label each one. I spent a whole day cutting and creating half square triangles. All was good.
Next time I went to the table to complete the job, I needed a few more half square triangles. So I cut out the squares but cut them before joining so now I had a few squares the wrong size!

I tried to find matches for the colours so that I could make more – impossible. The fabric I used was Kona so I found this wonderful lady in Warrandyte  - Clair's Fabrics who stocked what I needed. However - how to match when I had 24 shades of purple.
Finally I overcame that problem, with her help, and made my squares to complete the top.

I then decided (foolishly) to undertake the free motion quilting required to bring the quilt to life. My free motion work is not the best. I had created designs that were too complicated so there was a lot of unpicking. I came up with simpler designs and I marked and sewed on and on. One day I used a piece of chalk, meant for marking. It was great it didn't fade away and didn't disappear before I sewed. Sounds good  - yes until I washed it and found it didn't wash out. I even scrubbed using a nail brush. Then I did the unthinkable (what an idiot) . Some of the orange markings were on white  - maybe a drop of bleach on a paintbrush might work! Of course Murphy's law it dripped onto one of the colours. I put the quilt in the bin and had a meltdown.

At one stage I pricked my finger and it chose the white to bleed on!

It was rescued from the bin a new colour purchased, block removed. I also bought new white to change those blocks. Of course there is white and snow. I ordered white – Murphy was at work-  it was snow.

Now finally I have all the right colours, (nearly) blocks have been removed and replaced, binding is on. My free motion is that very free and a bit wobbly but it is done. What a huge sigh of relief. I know there are flaws some glaring ones, I know it is not excellent but I can do no more.  I can say I made it all myself!
The oral of the story is NEVER GIVE UP.




2 comments:

  1. That's a great quilt story Sheila! I'm sure many of us quilters have similar tales of woe which turned into beautiful quilts! Bleach? Whatever were you thinking?! Ha ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tenacity is your second name. In the end you had an amazing quilt with literally blood, sweat and tears! Glo x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your lovely comment! We love to hear what you think of goings on and will always try very hard to reply. To help us to do this, please make sure your email address is enabled in your Google ID. x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...